HMQS Miner was a vessel built for the Queensland Army as a military steamer before being transferred to the Queensland Maritime Defence Force. She was not taken on strength by the Commonwealth Naval Forces at Federation in 1901 and subsequently sold.
Construction and designDisplacing 65 tons, HMQS Miner was constructed by Evans Anderson & Phelon in Brisbane, Queensland, in 1887. Sh
Service historyAfter she was transferred to the Queensland Maritime Defence Force she was refitted for service as a submarine miner, or mine layer. At this time there was a practice of lying mines at strategic points such as harbour entrances so they could be detonated from land when the time was right. Such defences were extensively deployed in Sydney Harbour.
An inspection of the vessel on 8 March 1901 determined that she was "in good condition but unsuitable for submarine mining defence".
Upon Federation, when the rest of the colonial navies were combined to form the Commonwealth Naval Forces, HMQS Miner sold to a civilian owner.
She was put on Bishop Island at the mouth of the Brisbane River in 1953.
HMQS Miner is one of up to fifteen ships to be used to build up the island, supplimenting a massive dredging operation at the mouth of the Brisbane River. It was named Bishop Island in 1912 after Allan Fitzroy Gordon Bishop, the captain of the dredge Hercules that was involved in creating the island.
The area has recently been reclaimed to extend facilities at the Port of Brisbane.
Miner in 1922