QTB Mosquito was a torpedo boat operated by the Queensland Maritime Defence Force and Commonwealth Naval Forces. She entered service in 1885 and after Federation was transferred to the Commonwealth Naval Forces, serving as a training vessel until she was paid off in 1910.
She was launched on 16 July 1884, even though shet was not completed until 1885. Mosquito was then transported to Australia as deck cargo by an East India Company steamer.
With a gavanised steel hull, she was designed to have a top speed of 21 knots; however, she was only able to achieve 17.21 knots during trials. She displaced 12 tons,being 63 feet (19m) long, and 7.5-foot (2.3m) across the beam.
The ship was built to a standard design, as TB 191 of Tasmania and the New Zealand Defender-class torpedo boats were identical. The Lonsdale and the Nepean torpedo boats in Victoria, built a year earlier, were also identical except in mounting fixed torpedo tubes.
She had a complement of seven, and was equipped with two sets of dropping gear for 14-inch torpedoes. Construction cost 3,500 pounds sterling.
She was subsequently based at facilities constructed at the bottom of the cliffs of the western side of Kangaroo Point, on the Brisbane River. She was never commissioned as she had no crew accommodation, but was simply called into service when required. Therefore, she spent much of her time out of the water.
Following Federation in 1901, Mosquito was transferred to the new Commonwealth Naval Forces and was employed as a training vessel until she was paid off in 1910. Her fittings and engines were subsequently removed before being abandoned somewhere on the Brisbane River.