Nepean Naval and Maritime Museum

- Museum Home Page - Shore Bases Index - NAA Sub-Section Home Page -

NHQ Tasmania


In 1993 a Government decision to rationalise Defence assets and resources saw the decommissioning of HMA establishments Huon, Encounter and Moreton and their subsequent closure in June 1994.

At the time it was identified that a number of residual roles and functions existed and these still needed to be performed by the Navy in these locations. Navy Support Offices were then formed and commenced business in respective States shortly thereafter.

The Navy Support Office - Tasmania (NSO-TAS), headed by a CMDR as the Officer-In-Charge, commenced business at Derwent Hall, in Anglesea Barracks, central Hobart in June 1994.

In 1999 Navy Headquarters-Tasmania was relocated to its current building within Anglesea Barracks Command, Hobart.

NOTE: - HMAS Encounter was the name of the naval depot in Port Adelaide, South Australia between 1965 and 1994. It was formerly called HMAS Torrens as commissioned in August 1940, before being commissioned as HMAS Encounter in 1965. With the base closure in June 1994, a Navy Support Office South Australia was established in Keswick Barracks. The has since been upgraded to NHQ South Australia.
NHQ Tasmania